Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Rescuers: Rodent Movie


Following the tasty meal Friday night, the Mister suprised me with The Rescuers. The Mister was disturbed by the racial and regional sterotyping among the mice (and Bianca, the heroine is the whitest creature in the film), the physical comedy and goofiness that either didn't translate well to animation or hasn't aged well, and the overall darkness of the film, both in concept and animation.
I liked it. Partially I liked it because I remember loving this movie as a child. (I saw it in the theater with Ron Prewitt and my brother. As it came out in 1977 it may have been one of the very first movies I saw in a theater.) Partially because there are so many mice involved. Alas, I did not like it as well as I thought I would from my memories. The nostalgia didn't overcome the sterotyping, stupid physical comedy and overall darkness. The villian is also much too Cruella DeVille-like in action but not nearly as much fun. Barely recommended overall.

8 comments:

Tucson Trekker said...

What a shame to get an adult update that the movie really isn't as good as you thought it was as a kid. I still know some of the lines and songs by heart. I always liked Evinrude. I was disappointed to re-watch Grease.

Anonymous said...

I bet you can't wait for Ratatouille to come out.

Anonymous said...

Will you rewatch The Rescuers Down Under too?

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I'm not sure about Rescuers Down Under. I haven't ever seen it, but I have a great many rodent movies to see.

Anonymous said...

Is Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh a movie?

Sparkling Squirrel said...

They made of movie of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM entitled "Secret of NIMH". I haven't ever seen it but certainly intend to. I'm also planning on re-reading the book as soon as I find it (along with Stuart Little, The Mouse and the Motorcycle and several other great rodent books.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi there everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for that singular make. The prices seeking the boots are about 210 bucks everwhere. But definitively I found this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase them. what can you tell me about these?