Wednesday, June 18, 2008

She only ate the tail of the beaver

I found out this week that Alma Hogan Snell, my Crow Indian mentor, died in May. While there wasn't a creature she wouldn't try to eat (our book includes recipes for beaver tail, bison lung and bear), she had such a connection with the landscape around her that I think plants, animals and glowing red rocks would all join me in celebrating her long and full life and giving pause at her passing.
Thanks for opening a new world to me Alma, and know that you are missed here on this side.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi SS,

Sorry to hear about Alma's death. Though I never her meet her, I will join you in celebrating her life.

Anonymous said...

I too am sorry to hear of Alma's death. I enjoyed her (your) book and felt like I got to know her a little bit.