Saturday, February 21, 2015

Glowing Goat: A Few Prelimary Practical Steps

You may or may not have been bored by the end of root year.  I actually read several root books, listened to some songs classified as roots music and thought quite a bit about the connections between botanical roots and ancestral roots, but since I never managed to describe those activities here, all you know is that I ate a lot of carrots and some more unusual Asian roots.  And I'm not done with roots.  I haven't yet watched Roots (the miniseries) and haven't yet published the definitive (or otherwise) work on root harvest of prairie turnips.  Bored or not, completed or not, it is time to move on to a new theme.
Ethereal "luminosity" seems like such a nice contrast to the earthiness of roots, and "glowing goat" a vivid alliterative image that it makes me want to jump up and get started.  Except how?

How will I investigate luminosity?

1. My son will bring me glowing mail while I am in the shower (this actually happened this morning.  He had a Valentine's glow stick [no, I cannot explain why a three-year-old, or anyone else, would need a special glow stick for Valentine's Day] and decided to start it this morning and deliver it to me as I was showering.  It felt like a sign.)
2. I will see some luminescent creatures (a student, out of the blue, started talking about bioluminescent bays in Puerto Rico yesterday.  It felt like a sign).
3. I will read some books about the Moon.
4.  I will eat some moon cakes.
5. I will think and write about the difference, both scientifically and metaphorically, between "luminescent" and "radiant"
6. I will be radiant and I will glow.
7. I will dance in the moonlight.
8. I will prepare some flaming, or glowing, foods.
9. I will play with glow sticks, glow rings, and my sons.
10. I will make shadows in the moonlight.
11. I will photograph glowing things.

Other ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to add more candlelight into my life for months now-- this is inspiring me to make good on that desire!

I remember camping on Assateague Island when I was in high school and seeing bioluminescent creatures in the crashing waves at night. Very neat experience!

Molly

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Interesting, somehow I had not thought about candles as all as I was contemplating glowing. I will need to add them.