Sunday, February 22, 2015

Underground Parts Eaten

I did succeed in eating a greater variety of roots (and other underground parts) during roots year than I previously imagined.  I did not open the jar of pickled kachai whole in brine (roots purchased back in acid year), but I did eat all of these.  Asterisks denote items that I cooked with for the first time.  Of these, I think only burdock and black radish were entirely new to me.

Roots
Carrots (orange, red, purple and yellow)     Parsnips     Turnips
Daikon     Red Radishes
Black Radishes*
Roots from my cousin's first serious garden, Summer 2014
Rutabagas     Red Beets     Golden Beets
Burdock Root*
Jicama         Celery Root/Celariac*
Horseradish and Wasabi (although I didn't process either myself)

Root Tubers
Sweet Potatoes (orange, white and red)
Purple Sweet Potatoes (or were they true yams?)
True yams (although very little)
Yuca/Manioc/Cassava*

Stem Tubers
Potatoes (of many varieties)

Corms
Taro*

Rhizomes
Ginger    Galangal*    Turmeric

Bulbs
Onions    Garlic    Shallots    Leeks
Fennel (although arguably above-ground)

I did, thus meet goal #1 from the original list of root resolutions, along with #3, #4, and #14.

No comments: