Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cake

Some of you asked for photos.  Here's the birthday cake in progress and complete.
This was constructed following recipes in Tish Boyle's fabulous volume: The Cake Book.  With a minor exception of not owning a stand mixer (and leaving out a bit of rum and adding some strawberries on top), I actually followed the instructions for Coconut Meringue Cake pg. 294 which included Whipped White Chocolate Coconut Ganache (pg. 319) and Bittersweet Chocolate Glaze (pg. 306).  I've written about The Cake Book before (mentioned here and here and the shamrock cupcakes were made using the Devilish Moist Chocolate Cake recipe, a cocoa and hot water based-recipe which has become my go-to for chocolate cakes) and once again, it did not disappoint.  The end result was not very cake-y, after all, it is flour-less, and tasted like a giant coconut macaroon.  I was pretty excited, and the whipped white chocolate coconut ganache was a revelation.
The boys are pretty cute, too.

Back to pediatric stroke awareness tomorrow!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing and delicious! I had to look up "dacquoise" when I saw your earlier post. I love that you cook with your boys. I'm letting Miss T have free range of the kitchen (everything breakable and sharp is now up high) while I cook. I hope she will enjoy cooking with me at some point soon.
Molly