Saturday, May 3, 2014

Lilacs and Lavender: The Colors of Purple

I've been thinking of attaching a purple flower photo to every streak for stroke post.  Looking through my files I am surprised at the number of purple flower photos I've already taken, assuming one is willing to be expansive in one's definition of purple.  It seems I have photos of lilacs that are lavender; lavender that is violet; violets that are white; irises that are plum; and indigo that's plain purple.
These are the kinds of things that I think I would like to sit around and write about some day, but now that I am doing it, find I would really rather go to bed.  Someday.
In the meantime, here's a photo of the boys on Palm Sunday (notice the Hawaiian "palm" shirt).  That was April 12, the north facing lilac had been in full bloom for a few days and it lasted well past Easter when I picked the bouquet.
This lilac has a fabulous scent, and it reminds me of my parents being reminded of their parents.  I never saw (or smelled) my grandmother's lilacs in bloom, but judging by the way my parents speak of them, they must have been something outstanding. Transmitted nostalgia is an odd thing.
The lilac is also not a color I consider lilac.  Much as I like the plant, the discrepancy does bug me some.
In other garden news, some of the asparagus is purple, the west wall roses have just started, I picked my first two south wall peonies and the iris are pretty much in full bloom.

If you are here for personal stroke survivor stories, I'll link to my cerebral palsy diagnosis and in utero stroke diagnosis story (Aster's blog name was Rutherford Robinia before he emerged.  Neither is his actual name.) that will have to do until I post something new.

If you are like my father, you can be assured that Aster's hair was cut before Easter (see May 1 photo of egg dying).

No comments: